Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Revisions and Resubmissions

I'm pretty generous with offering resubmissions to authors when I feel a there's merit in a story. However, I must say it never fails to concern me when I do reject a manuscript, offer a resubmission, and the manuscript comes back within 48 hours.

I'm sure there are those of you who can whip out edits and corrections in the blink of an eye. Particularly those who have the ability to be a full-time author day in and day out. That said, I have yet to see a resub turned around so quickly that has met approval.

Please folks, if you're given the opportunity to resubmit, take the time to do it right. Don't race to get it done unless you're told "I need this in x amount of time." In my case, you have 90 days to send it back to me directly.

Take the time to sit down with a trusted critique partner and compare the editor or agent's reponse to what's in front of you. See if your modifications have met the request.

Don't rush. You get one chance to resubmit as a general rule. Don't let a good project miss the proverbial boat because you were excited. Make sure it is as correct as you possibly can get it. Then send it back to us.

And if you are one of those miracle-working authors who can do good, solid edits in a very short time. You might stretch out your turn around time to a week so no one perceives it was rushed.

Just my two cents!

No comments:

Post a Comment